OSSIE Eclipse Update Site
OSSIE is an open source Software Defined Radio (SDR) development effort based
at Wireless@Virginia Tech. OSSIE is primarily intended to enable research and
education in SDR and wireless communications. This update site provides Eclipse
support for developing SDR components and waveforms. It requires that you have
already installed OSSIE on your system.
More information about OSSIE including downloads and installation
instructions is available at the OSSIE
View Demos of OSSIE Eclipse Feature
Video demos can be viewed at http://ossie.wireless.vt.edu/videos.
They are best viewed in full screen mode (F11 on most browsers).
Step 1: Install OSSIE (if you
Visit the OSSIE
Download Center for OSSIE releases, installation guides, VMWare images, or
to access our daily builds. Installation instructions are included in the OSSIE
Step 2: Install Java (if you haven't
Eclipse is written in Java, so you must have Java installed to run Eclipse.
Install the full Java Software Development Kit (SDK) for best results.
Note: the GNU gcc implementation of Java ("gcj") will not
work. Use Sun's JDK instead.
- Go to the Java SE download page and download the latest JDK update that is
available. Do not download the NetBeans? IDE bundle
or the JRE distribution.
On the next page, check the radio button to agree to the license terms.
Then, Windows users should download the Windows Offline Installation,
- Execute the installer file you downloaded to install the Java SE JDK.
- Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and click
Download next to JDK 6 Update 6.
- Choose Linux in the platform drop down menu, click the checkbox agreeing to
the license agreement, and click continue.
- Download the linux rpm in self extracting file. (jdk-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin)
- Open a terminal and navigate to the file.
- Change into root
- Execute the following on the command line
- create java.sh in /etc/profile.d/ with the following contents:
- Log out and back in
- Execute the following on the command line:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk
Mac OS X:
- The OSSIE Eclipse feature requires at least Java 1.5.0, which is only
supported on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and higher. Current versions of Mac OS X come
with this version pre-installed. If you don't have it (or need 1.6.x or newer),
get it from Apple's
Step 3: Install Eclipse (if you
Go to the Eclipse download center and download an Eclipse
distribution for your platform.
We recommend you install the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
(don't worry, you'll still get full C++ support after you complete the OSSIE
Eclipse Feature installation).
Eclipse is distributed as a zip or a tar file that you install in a location
of your choice. Pick a location that is appropriate for your operating system
and simply unpack the contents. There is no self-installer--just unzip or untar
We recommend that you do not install Eclipse in a directory that has
spaces anywhere in its full path name.
Step 4: Install the OSSIE Eclipse
- Confirm your java version by executing java -version from the command line.
If the response does not indicate the Sun JDK is being used, go back to Step 2.
- Start Eclipse.
- From Eclipse's menu, select Help -> Software Updates -> Find and
- Choose "Search for new features to install" and click Next.
- Add an entry for this update site:
- Click on "New Remote site..."
- Enter "OSSIE" as the name.
- Enter http://ossie.wireless.vt.edu/eclipse/
as the URL.
- Click OK.
- Make sure there is a check mark next to the OSSIE entry you just added and
- Eclipse will check this site for available features, and find the
edu.vt.ossie.OWDFeature. Select the latest version of the feature from the tree
that Eclipse shows you and follow the rest of the wizard pages to complete the
- Eclipse will offer to restart the workbench so your changes take effect.
Click Yes to restart the Eclipse workbench.
- After the restart, you'll want to switch to the OSSIE perspective so that
you can see the newly installed tools. From Eclipse's menu, Choose Window ->
Open Perspective -> Other .... From the list of perspectives, choose OSSIE
and click OK. This action will reconfigure the panes/views in the Eclipse window
to match OSSIE development tasks better.
Now you are ready to begin using the OSSIE tools in Eclipse. From Eclipse's
menu, choose File -> New -> OSSIE Waveform ... and start developing!
In the future, you can repeat these basic steps to install the latest version
of the OSSIE OWDFeature as new versions are released (there is no need to
manually add the update site entry on subsequent updates of course).
注：OSSIE Eclipse Update Site（原文出处，翻译整理仅供参考!）